Spiritual Advisor: Fr Henry D’Souza
Contact Person: Mr K. P. Joseph, Mr Arun Sequeira, Mr Francis Machado
About BCS: Committed for a better tomorrow, today” is the motto of the Bombay Catholic Sabha (BCS) which was founded in 1989. It is a non-political organization registered as a Public Trust, under the Bombay Public Trusts Act 1950. The BCS is a recognised lay association of the Archdiocese of Bombay, affiliated to the All India Catholic Union that is in turn recognised by the Catholic Bishops Conference of India.
The Sabha unit of our parish was established in the year 1991 and has won the Best Unit award twice in a row.
The executive body of the Sabha consists of:
- Mr K. P. Joseph – Chairman
- Mr Arun Sequeira – Vice Chairman
- Mr Francis Machado – Vice Chairman
- Ms Natasha Mokale – Honorary Secretary
- Mr Rajan Swamy – Treasurer
Summary of Work: The Sabha unit of our parish has been actively involved in the following areas:
- Medical Centre: A fully-fledged medical centre is being run by the Sabha every Sunday between 10.30 a.m. and 1.00 p.m. We have a panel of 5 doctors who visit this centre in turn. On an average the centre caters to around 30 patients every Sunday. Only those families who are economically poor are registered in the centre irrespective of caste/creed/ religion. A team of qualified para-medical staff ably assisted by the Sisters from Premankur are present to assist the doctors and dispense medicines. Each of the committee members and volunteers from the Parish are given schedules for duty in the centre.
Apart from having a medical centre every Sunday, the Sabha also conducts specialized camps like full body checkup, skin/eyes/heart check-up, etc. on a regular basis. Specialized doctors are called on such occasions.
- Civic and Political Issues: The Sabha has been at the forefront in taking up Civic and Political Issues in the City of Mumbai. The members of our parish have actively participated in the protest rallies which have been organized by the centre to speak out against
a. The Gorai-Uttan SEZ
b. The Sahar Land acquisition
c. Pereira Wadi demolitions
d. Bomb Blasts, etc…
- Education and Training: The Sabha organizes career guidance programmes for those who have completed their Std X. Academic awards are given to the students of our parish, who have secured highest percentage in Std X, XII and graduation.
- Senior Citizens I-Card: This is being run by the Sabha unit every Wednesday in which senior citizens are helped to fill forms and the same are processed with the help of the centre at Mahim. A number of senior citizens of the parish have benefitted out of this service.
Meeting Date: Second Sunday of the month at 7.00 p.m. in the Parish Conference Room.